Tuesday, June 9, 2009

NY Weekend

Though I was just in NJ/NY last week, that trip wasn't planned.  My mom had surgery for which I wanted to be there, so I booked a trip last minute.  She is doing much better now, but I went back to NJ this weekend for a long planned trip.  I wanted to bring my baby girl to see her grandparents and to do a number of other things.  It couldn't have worked out better.  Getting to see my mom up and about was a highlight.  

In addition to the little Ladybug, I brought a good friend with me since MrRuckus decided to stay home and have a boys' weekend with the Z-man and his brother.  So we had a girls' weekend with my sisters and a little bit of time with mom and dad.  Luckily for me, they all got a chance to spend some QT with the Ladybug while my friend L and I had some QT with the city.  For a day and a half we walked, ate and shopped in my favorite city in the world.  NY in perfect weather, with great company and lots on sale, what could be better?  

Started out by showing L the Union Square Greenmarket, then wandering through the Village and SoHo.  We just wandered in and out of stores, purchasing trinkets from street vendors.  We finally made our way to Magnolia Bakery and took our cupcakes to the park across the street to get our "fix".  

We then went to a shoe store where I purchased one of my all time favorite pairs of shoes years before and each had luck finding something that fit our styles perfectly.  Shopping bags in hand, we headed back uptown through the meatpacking district.

Now, this area I do not know very well at all, so we were just wandering.  Then, all of a sudden, we passed a shop with windows filled with beautiful shoes with red soles.  My heart, literally, started beating faster.

We were standing outside of the Christian Louboutin store and I hadn't even planned it!  I have wanted a pair of Louboutins for years, but have never pulled the trigger as they are usually so pricey.  We immediately went in and started delighting in the beautiful array of shoes only to hear that an entire wall of the store had a sale going on.  At this point, I was practically hyperventilating.  I spotted a pair of shoes that was very much my style: basically simple with a rock and roll edge.  And, they had my size!  These babies have 5.5 inch heels and a pewter platform in front and are so beautiful and make me feel so good (except at the end of the night after walking many blocks, but that was my fault, not the shoes).  Buying them was one of my most exciting shopping moments EVER!



That night, we went to the chic bar at our hotel, none other than the Palace, (home of Serena Van der Woodsen) and then on to dinner at Asia de Cuba (Cuba being the thing that brought us to NY that weekend in the first place).  The restaurant was quite good and was still trendy, stylish and lots of fun.   Went back to the room and feel asleep watching Confessions of a Shopaholic (fitting for the weekend).

Sunday morning dawned (okay 9:30 a.m.) bright and beautiful.  Here is the view from our room, St. Patrick's right there and all the way to the Hudson in the distance:

We had a delicious brunch at Fred's and then spent the next two hours exploring every other floor of Barney's.  L decided that she loved Barney's so much that she wanted to live there!  Barney's also had a huge sale going on, but we restrained ourselves and only bought presents there for our families and nothing for ourselves.  Then we went back to the room, checked out, and took the bus to Hoboken.

The whole purpose of the weekend was to attend the opening of my father's first one man gallery exhibit.  The Almanac Gallery in Hoboken showed a collection of his recent photos of Miami and Cuba, and it was wonderful!  I was so proud of my father, who has been passionate about this work for so long.  Many of his friends and family members were there to support him and his work looked amazing hung together there.  

All in all, it was a great weekend.  I love and miss NY so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment