Monday, June 1, 2009

Farmer's Markets

I find it very difficult to get myself and my children out of the house quickly.  Well, I should rephrase that.  I find it very difficult to get myself out of the house quickly.  Getting the three of us out is sometimes close to impossible.  I just don't know what happens to time in the morning, but for me to get out of the house takes a bare minimum of 45 minutes, and this is with no shower and no latte.  If I need to do the whole routine plus kids, I need two hours.  So, I am really curious how I am going to get the Z-man to preschool next fall at 8 a.m. As it was this year, half of the days that I had to take him, I was still in my PJs and glasses and the baby was unchanged.  And school started at 9!  I really don't know how I am going to do it.  I am considering finding a different school just because I don't know if I can deal with the 8 a.m. preschool start.

Because of my slow-pokiness, I have NEVER made it to the Farmer's Market in Grogans Mill while there was any produce left.  But, last weekend I was determined to get there when it started at 8.  But, when we did get there at 9, we were all cleaned, dressed and fed, so I was pretty pleased with myself.  And, pleased with what I found there! Lots of fresh, seasonal produce, meats, eggs, breads and delicious Indian Food!  I had no problem walking around, getting what looked best from every stand (and parting with lots of cash.)  I plan to make this a weekly occurrence when we are in town. (It runs from 8-noon all Spring).



All last week, I was in NJ because my mom had surgery and I wanted to be with her and there for my sisters and my dad.  We were pretty busy running back and forth between their house and the hospital, but I did have some time to be in my favorite place in the world, NYC.  So, last Saturday, in an effort to stock their kitchen with fresh, healthy food to eat over the next week, my middle sister and I decided to go to the Union Square Greenmarket.

I loved every minute of being at that Farmers Market.  First of all, the day was gorgeous and the square was filled with thousands of people enjoying the day and the markets offerings.  So, the overall energy level of the neighborhood was just incredible.  Secondly, it is still mid-spring in the northeast and everything green is at its height.  We tasted so many delicious veggies and bought lots of them, filling our market bags quickly.  I only wished that I could have stayed to cook and eat the food with them, but I was returning to Texas the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment