Recently, I have had to temper my inner foodie. In the past few months, I have successfully lost all of my baby weight plus twenty five pounds, and I have never felt better. I have not and will not give up my passion for food. Mostly, I have trained myself to make better food choices, to have small portions of the things I love, and to splurge when something is really splurge worthy (hello, recent meals at Feast and Da Marco) or when on vacation (I'm looking at you Eric Ripert). I have done all of this successfully by following the weight watchers plan. Without going to a single meeting, I have access to all of the tools available.
Basically, though, the keys to my "success" have been:
1. Write down what I eat and don't cheat. If I have three m&m's from my son's "potty prizes", I write it down. I am accountable to myself and so I have learned that bites here and there add up.
2. The more fiber the better. Higher fiber content makes foods lower in points values and more filling. So, I try to choose whole foods like fruits, vegetables and whole grain breads and pastas. Vegetables (for the most part) have no points, so I have learned to snack on them more than anything else.
3. Steel cut oatmeal every morning. Every day for breakfast I have a bowl of steel cut oatmeal and a large latte that I make on my beloved nespresso machine. This fills me up all morning.
4. Save some points for a small treat every night. I have a sweet tooth and must have dessert. (If I have baked something fabulous, like the Paula Deen's caramel cake that I made for MrRuckus's birthday, I will, of course choose a tiny sliver of this. ) Otherwise it is a skinny cow ice cream sandwich or a jell-o sugar free dulce de leche pudding. If I am out of points, I drink cup after cup of naturally sweet Aveda Comforting Tea. MrRuckus thinks that this makes my breath smell like I have been partaking in some marijuana inhalation. No wonder I like it so much!
5. Sriracha, or thai hot sauce, is the greatest condiment ever. I put this on everything that is not sweet and it adds so much flavor with no calories.
6. Water water water. I drink at least a gallon a day, two if I am going to go to Bikram.
7. Pilates Reformer works. I am so much stronger, leaner and faster thanks to my twice weekly training on the reformer.
8. Breastfeeding burns a lot of calories each day. Thank goodness for, as my friend "K" puts it, my "little calorie sucker". I guess the little ladybug will be nursing for a while.